Monday, June 07, 2004

On my way to Qatar.

On my way to Qatar. It’s been about 7 to 12 months or maybe even 5 years in the making. It depends on how you look at it. Ever since January of 1999 I have wanted to travel overseas and work in a different culture. I didn’t know what I would do, but I did know what my perfect job would be. I would work in the Middle East using my experience as a developer. Hopefully I would be able to work in my expertise. It would really help if it was an area that was livable for me and my wife. If I was really going to dream big, I would actually be able to save some money while working there so that I wouldn’t be “behind” whenever my wife and I decided to move back to the US.

All I can say is that God answered my prayers. He answered prayers I was afraid to pray. Thinking it was too much to ask. It is punctuated by the fact that I would not be in the position to be considered for this opening unless I had been turned down for more jobs then I can count. That’s a lot. I mean really a lot. There were some close calls, but luckily they all told me “No”. This extends from TXU, to my infamous (among family and friends) “I’m the Alpha male” remark in the USAA interview, to using the wrong name in my thank you for the interview email to Wal-Mart. I can’t forget Chevron Texaco, ANICO, CIS, CIA and the close call of almost accepting a job with UCS.

Each time I put my hopes into getting the job, willing to do whatever, as long as I didn’t have to move back home with my tail between my legs. Thanks for the tuition mom and dad, I feel like the best use of your investment would be for me to go back to work at Macaroni Grill. Hopefully I can get promoted from server Assistant to a full fledged server. Thankfully God shut the right doors guiding my way through this maze to my current destination. I don’t have the job yet, but it looks good and I can’t help but to consider what my come of it.

So my wife and I are packing our bags, saying some preliminary goodbyes, getting our visas and taking the next step.

Ma'as s-salaama (Goodbye)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home