Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Going to Florida

So I’m heading off to Tech Ed on Thursday and more anticipated Texas the next week. Like every other time I fly I have now entered the of crap portion of my planning. I have not packed one thing and I probably won’t until the last minute. Getting to fly and going on vacations for me is quite an indulgence. I look forward to it quite a bit. This is probably one of the reasons why I don’t plan enough for it. I almost feel guilty when I spend time planning because I think I should wait to enjoy it when it is the proper time. Does it make sense? No. Kara on the other hand is much more practical and ever since we have been married has packed my bags and kept me in line. Of course I had the prestigious job of carrying the bags but that is why we make a good team. So with a few days left I have decided it is OK to pack and I better start or I will have a nervous breakdown and not be able to enjoy the flight. Why do I enjoy flying? Because I’m going business and I can relax and think to myself for 24 hours while catching all the movies that I don’t get in the states. It’s like a little pod of solitude that I get for the time period. Also the fact that I’m going to arrive somewhere new is a bonus.



Teacher Russell



I was asked by the computer teacher at the American School to give a presentation to his class about what it means to be a Software Developer. He asked me because Kara told him I would be interested in helping him get kids interested in technology. Well I did my best and I just hope I didn’t turn them away from it. I have several friends and family members who are teachers and I can not imagine what it would be like to do that job everyday. The kids were well behaved they just didn’t seem to care about what I was saying. Of course I guess I can’t expect all kids at that age to be in love with the idea of being a computer geek. That’s why you teach them.



First off I prepared a powerpoint presentation that was about an hour long. I tried to make it interactive but it is pretty intimidating when you ask a question like “Where do you see software being used” and they all just give you blank stares. Right thanks for the help. So I went through my presentation and nobody fell asleep. The second class actually had some questions. The thing that surprised me the most was how young they were. I kept on trying to tone down the presentation when I was creating it but I was thinking of non-technical adults not 15 and 16 year old kids. It was a good experience and if I’m asked back again I think I will be better prepared.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My name is Sarah and I've recently arrived in Doha from Houston, Texas. It's a big change from home and as I'm here on my own I'd appreciate any feedback you or your wife may have on making the transition to living here in Doha. My boyfriend, Hunter Graham, from Houston will be at Tech Ed in Florida next week too. Maybe you'll cross paths. Have a safe trip and hope to hear from you soon!

Sarah Phillips
phillsar86@gmail.com

3:33 PM  
Blogger Desi Brown said...

Hey Russell,

I can't believe I actually ran into your blog! Actually I was procrastinating at work and was googling names of people I haven't seen in forever and I ran across your site. It's awesome to see that you are doing so well!
I can't believe you are living in Doha. I can't believe I don't even know where that is. I thought I was being pretty brave and courageuos by moving 2300 miles away to Portland, Oregon. I thought I was in the midst of a culture shock from just moving from Texas to the West Coast! I can't even imagine moving to the Middle East. It's just like you to do something cool like that.
Hope your trip to Florida and Texas is great!

12:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home