Monday, November 27, 2006

Indian Impressions part 2

We attended our conference for the next 5 days and it was really refreshing. Mostly because we had a constant but not too strenuous schedules of worship and teaching. We started our days with being woken up by an annoying loud doorbell at 7:30, eating our “American” breakfast and leaving for the LTT in a tuk tuk by 8:30. The breakfast consisted of eggs, toast and coffee. They may call it American but it was still Indian. Like Taco Bell calling itself Mexican food. After heading arriving at the LTT we did about 30 minutes of praise and worship (singing) followed by a lesson, 30 minute tea break, lesson, mini lesson then lunch. We had traditional Indian buffet style food for lunch and mixed with other people from the conference.



My natural inclination was to sit with people I know and stay in my comfort zone. I felt convicted and it was also suggested that we meet other people. So I started some conversations and met some interesting people from all over the world. One guy started a church in Australia, one in London another in Nepal. I had to use a translator once but it was one of the most rewarding conversations. After lunch we had about 3 ½ hours of free time. 4 out of the 5 days Sandeep and I headed to the markets to see the area and bargain with the locals. The one day we didn’t go we watched some students give a traditional Nepalese dance performance. It was cool to watch and seemed more fulfilling then haggling over the cost of a shirt. After the 3 ½ hour break we’d come back for another teaching and then go to dinner. Our places varied from Subway to traditional Indian food. I went to McDonalds once and found a very different menu. After about two minutes of searching for the double cheese burger I realized they had not beef on the menu. Not surprising seeing that a cow was walking in the street outside. Dang, that would have been a good picture.



Dinner was a good time of fellowship with people from our local church and the different people we met. On our last night we had dinner with a couple from the UK who imparted some wisdom on us. Mainly about how to adjust to this new season in Kara’s and my life. Handling church and our marriage while having a new child. I guess networking has a place outside the corporate world.



On our last full day Sandeep and I for the 2nd time met a student who just wanted to practice his English with us. He offered to show us some good places to shop for no fee as long as he could practice his English. Sounds like an honest desire. I didn’t even pick up on it until Sandeep mentioned how strange it was that this was the second time we heard this story. The deal is the shop gives these guys a cut of whatever we buy. Well we ended up not buying anything from the shop and scored free hospitality sodas. The purpose of the soda is to make you feel obligated to buy something but after fending off a barrage of small cons all week long I didn’t care. They called it hospitality and I wasn’t going to insult them by turning it down.



On our last day we visited the red fort (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delhi_Fort) in Old Delhi. I had amazing architecture but there is a definite difference between a 400 year old structure in India and one in Prague. Of course the entrance fee was about $2 compared to the $10 – 15 in Europe. It had a number of components to it and even a small weaponry museum. We ran into a group of 200 or so kids who all wanted to say hi to the tall white guy and shake my hand. So for about 5 minutes I shook all these kids hands who thought I was a novelty. I then had a father ask if he could take a picture of me with his two kids. After the red fort we went into old Delhi where the streets are tight with people, bullock carts, rickshaws, tuk tuks and any other mode of transport. It was more of a functional market area. You won’t find any colored hand bags or people trying to pull you into their shops. You will however be able to find the hardware store, firecracker stall and wedding supplies. It was real India.



So after spending the day in a place where personal space does not exist we grabbed a Tuk Tuk and headed for the oasis of our hotel. It is strange how reality shifts with a new perspective. The place I was skeptical about when I arrived now seemed like the Ritz compared to the places I had seen. We got there in time to enjoy one last meal, load up our luggage and head to the airport. Here everything was going well until we learned that they had overbooked the flight. I got on fine but a number of our friends holding Indian passports did not. I’m not sure if it was random, the fact they were in their home country or Qatar airways thinking it would be easier to handle them. If you lived here, the last reason would sound the most plausible. In the end I made it home and Emma didn’t forget me this time. It was a great trip and experience and I hope to make it back again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home