Monday, February 21, 2005

Tech-Ed 2005

Woo Hoo, it’s official, I’m going to Tech-Ed 2005. A time and place where geeks can become bigger and better geeks. I have gone to this for the past two years, once in Dallas and once in San Diego. This year it will be in Orlando but the format will probably still be the same. Basically there are about three hundred classes that are given on a number different Microsoft based technologies. Even with all the slack that Microsoft gives this is a pretty cool event that they put on. I like the format because you are not stuck learning one specific technology the whole time. This way you do not blow your whole training budget on web development in ASP .NET but never talk about how to make your SQL Server run more efficiently.

I also like Tech Ed because it is some what of a vacation. Even when your brains are leaking out at the end because of information overload you still enjoy it. And the T-Shirts, did I mention the T-Shirts. If for some reason you are not able to clothe yourself but can manage the $2000 registration fee this place is perfect. I wonder if employers enjoy the fact that their employees spend a good 2 hours a day talking to sales reps who’s product they have not intention of buying for a piece of cotton with their loge scrawled across the back. The first year I went I was more then guilty of this. Last year I slipped a little but tried to keep it in perspective. I was having flashbacks from college when I would sign up for a credit card to get a T-Shirt I didn’t even like. Because I can, that’s why. I’m coming to the realization that some legitimate learning will probably do more for me when I get back to the office then a couple of extra pieces of cotton.

For more information about this Woodstock for geeks go to http://www.microsoft.com/events/teched2005/.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home