Friday, July 29, 2005

A note from Prague

I'm sitting in a Prague Internet cafe right now reading some messages and musing about Kara's and my first week in Europe. The first thing that I have decided is, despite what was in the back of my mind, European countries are different from one another. No crap, huh. The change from Paris to Germany was marked by rougher accents and cleaner streets. Going down the Rhine was fun because we saw a number of towns and villages that fit the mold of small town Germany. We missed a train which meant a night in Assmanhausen (it was easy to remember that name for some reason) which turned out to be very enjoyable.



Now that we are in Prague it definitely feels closer to Moscow then London. I'm going to learn more about the history today. But from what I have read it used to be a communist country that is finding its way in a capitalist world. People are skinny and don't smile too much. My knack for being cheap or at least trying to save a few bucks on a hotel has put us right outside the tourist zone into what like to call real people. Nobody speaks Englsh, and I didn't exactly brush up on my Czech before I made it here. So I have been working a lot on my mime routine but it seems to be working. I realized that there were two types of european plugs. The power strip I brought to plug in all of my electronic gadgets only works in Germany, not France or the Czech Republic. I found an adapter after a lot of drawing and gesturing.



Right now I'm coping my latest batch of photos to my iPod. Can you believe I have taken over 400 so far? I'm sure most of you can. I even bought a travel tripod with me. I thought it might be a little too much but we have used it quite a bit when Kara and I were trying to get the perfect shot at the Eifel Tower.



On another note I was reading some of the forwards I recieve and found an interesting one about Ben Steins last column. I wasn't sure if it was real or not but after checking the ever faithful Snopes.com it turns out that it was. So take a look at it if you want to read something short and with some substance.



http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/benstein.asp

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home