Wednesday, November 29, 2006

D.A.G. Yo!

The 2006 Doha Asian Games are almost here. I've heard about them for the past 2 1/2 years and I'm looking forward to seeing them actually happen. The opening ceremonies will be on December 1st so the Torch is making its way around town. Today it was at Education City and stopped at all the different schools for photos.



Myself and a few others from ITS went out to EC's new outdoor event area which is 80% done and much to the dismay of Her Highness is still sporting the scaffolding. Before the torch made it there we were entertained for about an hour by students from the different campuses. Some read Arabic poetry, a portion of the Quran was read and right afterwards a student prepared a song he called “Green Leaf” and played it on his guitar. The funny thing was he played the Christmas song “What Child Is This?” (http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/w/h/whatcist.htm). I’m not sure what his intentions were in playing the song and calling it something different but I enjoyed it either way.



Halfway through the presentation Her Highness Sheika Moza rolled up in her Rolls Royce limo. We watched the torch go by and went back to work. I’ve criticized the planning for these games and wonder how they will go off but It’s nice that they are here. And while they are here clogging up the streets and causing panic and the grocery stores I might as well enjoy them. Below are a couple of shots I took with my phone. I felt pretty dumb not bringing my Digital Rebel but lesson learned. I’ll post shots that some of my friends took when I can get a hold of them.



The Torch at TAMUQ



So we know where the torch was going



They gave out Qatar flags for us in the crowd to wave



EC's new outdoor event center or something like that


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home