Thursday, November 30, 2006

Green Leaves? Oh, you meant Greensleeves.

I mentioned in my last post that an Education City student gave a performance entitled Green Leaves and ended up playing “What Child Is This?” I was confused on why he picked this song, said he wrote it and then called it something different. After talking telling this story to my infinitely more musically literate wife I learned that he had actually said the song was called “Greensleeves”. This is a song believed to be written by King Henry VIII sometime in the 16th century. “What Child is This?” was written in 1865 to the melody of “Greensleeves”. A little bit more information can be found in the two wikipedia articles below.



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greensleeves


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_Child_Is_This%3F



So in the end, I alluded to the idea of this person committing plagiarism who in reality was just playing a classical tune, calling it by the proper name and may have gotten a few word mixed up in his second language. I guess the lesson here is to give people the benefit of the doubt and ignorance can be dangerous. Despite the misunderstanding it was nice to here the song in late November.



D.A.G. Pictures



A friend of mine who’s a photo nut brought all of his toys to the torch lighting yesterday. He’s going to take a number of pictures throughout the Asian Games. I’ve always been impressed with his work, so I would suggest checking back at the below link over the next 2 – 3 weeks.



http://mlucas01.zenfolio.com/f114460686

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home