Thursday, January 18, 2007

Back in my day you were lucky to have AOL and a unix email address

I’ve finished my first week of grad school without too much drama. I’m pursuing an MBA online through UTDallas right now. Currently I’m taking two courses one is statistics and the other is a project management course. Both are interesting enough and I can already see how both will be useful if I adequately absorb the teaching. I was pleasantly surprised by how smoothly the online interface runs. I have taken a couple of online courses before that were not supported with a campus wide approach. The professor’s tried hard but it usually looked like a “My First Website” website with default colored links to and directions on how to use yahoo groups or chat. UTDallas is using a package called WebCT 6.0 Campus Edition and this is the first time I’ve been exposed to it. It has a couple of quirks but it seems to meet my generations online expectations. Clean useful interface without any unnecessary spinning flaming logos. Multimedia seems to be used where it’s appropriate but not overdone.



In the two classes I’m attending the lecture is recorded and downloadable or it can be streamed from the server. I like this aspect of online classes the most. Mainly because of my knack for falling asleep in most of my classes as an undergrad. It’s a little harder to rewind a live lecture compared to a pre-recorded one. I’ve also started loading the lectures onto my ipod so I can listen to them while I’m driving. I’m not trying be an ubergeek but it makes sense and I actually learn more in 15 minute increments.



In my project management class we have 5 people who have to collaborate on a project. We had our first meeting this morning at 8:00 PM CST or 5:00 AM my time. One person is in Washington state, two in Texas, one on his way to Afghanistan and myself. We meet in a virtual wiz-bangy meeting room where we can chat by typing, one person at a time can talk (disappointed we could hold a fluid conversation), we can use a virtual white board or share programs on our computers. I can do a walkthrough of a website and everybody else can see what I’m doing. People have been doing this stuff for a while but it costs around $40 - $80 an hour using Webex. I was impressed that our school offers this stuff for free. Of course there is the whole tuition thing.



So far I’m enjoying it but I definitely see it eating up a lot of my time. I’ll try to keep everyone updated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home