Thursday, July 08, 2004

Fahrenheit 9/11

FYI: This is not a personal post, just a critique of Michael Moore’s Fahrenheit 9/11 and some ranting from my political view point.

I just finished watching “Fahrenheit 9/11”. It was sold out when I went to the movies so I borrowed a copy from a friend. The details aren’t necessary. I would definitely suggest watching it. When I went to the movies I saw a guy wearing a shirt that says Michael Moore hates America. I wondered to myself if he had even seen the movie. There is a lot of people who speak out against this movie without even seeing it. Doesn’t that sound a little ignorant? Of course this guy was just expressing his first amendment right as well.

Briefly the movie opened up by saying W. was an idiot. Moore didn’t really say that, but he was implying it. This was punctuated by a shot of Bush continuing to read to a book to a class of elementary school kids for seven minutes after he was informed that a second plane hit the WTC. There could be a reason for this, it’s just what was in the movie.


This is probably the only place I would out right disagree with Moore. I bought into the whole WMD bit but I also knew nothing short of Saddam jumping out of the window of one of his palaces was going to stop us from going over there. Not the UN, not Hans Blix, nothing. Where I disagree with Moore is Bush maybe crooked / clueless but Iraq needed to happen. W. may have gone in for the wrong reason but there was good that needed to be done. Of course I preface this by saying that this war did not cost many anymore then the time to put a yellow ribbon on my website. It’s easy for me to say it was a good thing while I sit at home and critique the action from my couch.

Moore called Iraq a free and sovereign nation. One that never did us any harm, so why were we bothering with it? For somebody who for the most part does a good job of not spinning things this was a pretty dumb statement. There are very good reasons for what happened in Iraq. Just read your history books. It boils down to we gave Saddam the weapons to fight people we didn’t like. He used them in a way he wasn’t supposed to. We called him on it. We had him contained but he was still dangerous to us. While we were containing him with sanctions he was killing his people. Our choice was to lift the sanctions and let him be dangerous or not do anything and watch hundreds of thousands of Iraqis die every month. Or we could remove him from power all together.

I think Moore could have still proven his point without making Iraq look like Disney Land prior to our invasion. Watch the movie and make up your own mind. I come to a different conclusion based on what is presented but I still think he does a good job.

The only thing that I haven’t been able to figure out is why Bush was so bent on going to Iraq. I doubt he really thought there were WMDs. What really makes me mad is in all his planning he didn’t look past reaching Baghdad. Maybe he did, but he didn’t heed the warning of military advisors stating how much it was really going to take. Basically he was feeding it to us in doses that we could accept. Kind of like cutting the dogs tail off one inch at a time.


For a brief overview of what Moore said in the film Click Here

For Fifty-nine Deceits in Fahrenheit 9/11Click Here

For a good and brief review Click Here

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home