Sunday, August 08, 2004

Where’s my hatchet? I need to cut something down.

It has been close to two weeks since Kara and I arrived in Doha and things are going well. On the whole at least but there are some little things that are getting to me. I was told that it would take about two weeks to two months and then all of a sudden you explode. Then you deal with it and everything is better. Well I thought that wouldn’t be an issue for me. I get here, I had my list and everything seemed to be going well. I missed a couple of things but nothing major so what could go wrong. Driving has been a little intense but as long as I don’t talk on my mobile (did I mention it is pronounced moe-b-aisle here?) I’m fine. Kara has even started driving and has been pretty good at it. Then again there are the little things.

First of all, our stuff has not shown up. I have enough clothes and all that, but sometimes you just want your own stuff. I’m not worried about having it. I’m worried about it sitting in some customs warehouse wilting under its own weight. I’m also worried that we packed too much and we have a big bill waiting for us once everything is weighed.

Next stress. My stinking hard drive that I took out of my computer and hand carried on my way over here in its original packing so it wouldn’t get jacked up is now jacked up. We got a loaner computer here so I just plugged it in and got the infamous blue screen. Nice, thank you x-ray machines. Die. So I figure hey just plug it in and boot off the original hard drive in the borrowed computer and read from my important one. Well I don’t have the right cable. Since there is not a Best Buy here computer equipment is kind of hit or miss. Well I thought I hit when I saw the cable I needed for sale in an antique store out of all places. Well get this, they are not for sale just decorations. Freaking computer equipment for decorations in an antique store.

Last complaint. Growing up a white protestant male in the US, otherwise know as a WASP, does not help to prepare you for discrimination too much. Growing up I knew discrimination was wrong and I would like to say that I spoke up against it more times then not. Even though I knew it was wrong I still did not know what it felt like. I don’t want to compare this to what too many people have faced in the US. Even if it is only a small amount it is a distinct feeling that I have now tasted. This has probably been the biggest thing for me to get over which I have not yet. For the most part people are wonderful and I’m treated very well. I’m seen as a good resource but definitely not an equal to the local population. It just so happens that I can handle a lot of things but arrogance is not one of them. It’s shown by my parking space being taken, little kids throwing popcorn at the movies, the way people drive and the lack of interaction that takes place. I’m not sitting in the corner crying woe is me but it has really heated me up. I imagine that I will overcome this but it is my current burden. I think this is definite distinction between what I’m feeling and what people back in the states feel. I will eventually leave this place and come back home. I can handle them seeing me as a visitor and not an equal. What would it be like to be treated that way in your own home? I will probably never know.

1 Comments:

Blogger Eric Webb said...

Dude that sucks. I especially like the "computer parts as decorations in an antique store" That's classic! I'm sure it will all work out.

3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home