Wednesday, October 06, 2004

We have a new phone number

eight six seven five three oh nine

We have a new number in Qatar. That’s right the day Kara and I have been waiting for is here. We have a new US number that sounds a lot better then our scratchy dialpad.com system that we were using. It was OK but this is a lot better. It is an phone that uses the Internet instead of traditional landlines. So we can call anywhere in the states for 2.5 cents a minute.

You can now call us but please remember there is an 8 hour time difference (9 hours during daylight savings). So if it is 12:00 pm in Texas it will be 8:00 pm in Doha. I’ll put a clock on our website with the local time as soon as I figure out how to configure the time zones.

Our new phone number is: 210 757 4603. You will be charged just as if you were calling San Antonio. We really look forward to talking to everybody a lot more then we have been.

Beast or Bust

In other news the beast had to get its first checkup yesterday. It kept on dying on me in the middle of traffic. Not a good sign. So the mechanic came out yesterday, looked at the engine, pointed at the carburetor and said it would take him a day and would cost that much. I’m anticipating QR200 (200 Riyals) which is roughly $55.

I was cussing and kicking it on the way in and wondering why I bought it. Then during lunch Kara called and asked if I wanted to sell it because a friend’s husband will pay whatever I did for it. By this time I had already called my mechanic friend. So when I get the beast back I’ll drive it some more and try to make a decision. I don’t know why I want to keep it so bad. I almost feel like I’m obligated to stick it out with the stupid thing and that I shouldn’t take the comfortable way out just because it was giving me some problems.

Close to the same time I got forwarded an email about a ’97 Honda Civic that was for sale. Nice, safe and reliable. Booo, I want the noisy ugly truck that gives me a heart attack when it dies in a roundabout. Decisions. Well that’s life in Doha.

Talking to the Man

Well I am presenting my SMS app to Dr. Pierce Cantrell this morning. For those outside the TAMU IT loop this guy is the man when it comes to IT. He came to Doha to see how the operation was running and to fill some time they want me to give a dog and pony show about my little SMS app. One thing about speaking to the Associate Provost For Information Technology is it’s hard to B.S. him when something doesn’t work right or act like I know what I’m talking about when I don’t.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home