Saturday, November 13, 2004

Another word from The Embassy

Just Kidding

Well a week after we were told to buy ducked tape and plastic wrap we were told that everything was OK and we could continue our dinners at The Ritz without any concern. Most of the "experts" said there wasn’t any real risk but just to be safe we thought we’d cry wolf.

Meeting the locals

While Kara and I were on our way to buy a car we got to meet a local Qatari by the name of Yusolf. We were at a round-a-bout when he ran into the back of us with his car. Apparently he had mistaken our brake lights for go ahead we’ll get out of your way. Yosulf was actually a pretty nice guy and apologized somewhat for hitting our car. He was careful not to admit guilt. In this country though your guilt is dependent on your nationality so it was clearly the fault of Kara and myself. It doesn’t matter either way because the insurance companies no the situation and premiums never change.

After the police came him and Yosulf talked for awhile in Arabic and I received a small sheet of paper. About that time the guy who I lease my car from showed up and said he would take care of everything. From what I observed, the little differences in the culture seem to cancel each other out. A Qatari hits me and it’s my fault but I have a friend who can make it like it never happened. Different I know.

Well after the cars were taken care of our friend Danna took us to the Doha Clinic for what I thought would be a routine exam and a prescription for some meds. It turned out to be a little more serious then that. The doctor felt like Kara had a pinched nerve and kept us there over night to run tests. The MRI showed that everything was OK but Kara would need to wear a soft neck brace for about three days. She seems to be doing better now but still needs your thoughts and prayers.

The hospital was very clean and our doctor made us feel very comfortable. It just wasn’t a fun situation to be in on the whole.

Traveling the land

Kara and I are now in UAE with some friends for a long weekend. Zach and I will be driving to Oman for a few days to do some hiking and 4x4ing. We are not sure how it will turn out but it’s mainly an exploratory trip to feel out the area and get an idea for what is there and what we can and can’t do. Don’t worry that sounds a lot more irresponsible then we plan to be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home