Monday, October 11, 2004

Geeks in the Middle East

Gitex

This past Thursday I went to Dubai for the regions big tech expo. Basically anybody who had anything to do with technology and has a presence in this region, were trying to hock their goods. I wish I could have spent more time there but because I flew in and out of Dubai on the same day my time was a little limited. I did find a cool PDA / Cell Phone that was a pretty good balance between having a big enough screen and not feeling like you were holding a brick to your head. It’s the Treo 600 from Palm.

Dubai as a city looks amazing. It is somewhere between Dallas and New York. In certain places the streets are lined with high-rises and all their roads are like what you would expect to find in the US. The roads in Doha are good enough but they are in the process of moving from main city streets to actual highways. This is accented by the fact that locals still don’t have any problem sprinting across the road when cars are going 60 and 70 mph.

Gitex

Take this job and shove it

Kara and I have decided that the happiness level in our home would increase exponentially if she did not work at The Learning Center anymore. It was turning out to be a very unrewarding job and experience for her. So she turned in her resignation they smiled and said she would always be welcome back to sub or whatever. She will still be tutoring a 9th grade Qatari girl about 4 times a week and substituting 2 or three times a week. We came to the realization that earning as much money as possible may not make us the happiest. With this plan we will still be able to travel as much as we wanted to but in between trips we won’t be stressing out from work too much.

For those who know me you can probably guess this wasn’t an easy concept for me to grasp. I really had to define what the true value of Kara working a full time job was compared to her taking care of the home, building relationships with locals and working part time. I needed to remind myself there was more to do here then just earn money. We’ll let you know how it goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home