Saturday, May 05, 2007

Batching It

Kara and Emma have made the annual expat migration back to the place of distant familiarity. Because of ITS travel restrictions I’m faced with the challenge of living by myself and remembering some of the reasons I decided to get married in the first place. The funny thing about being by yourself is the overly idealistic thought of how productive you will be. The fact is, without my wife here my ability to get through a to do list has suffered quite a bit. I’m hoping this won’t last the entire 7 weeks or else I’ll have lost 20 pounds, lost my job, flunked out of school and be living in a van down by the river.

Here’s my official to do / honey do list:
Fix Kara’s car (she would prefer to not have to use tape to keep the fog light in)
Clean and organize my home office
Move outside plants
Steam Carpets (I don’t know if you can rent one of these in Doha)
Yearly ./ Monthly finance audit
Square away training travel plans

What I did this weekend:
Thursday night
- Fix friends computer
- Downloaded Friday Night Lights
- Worked on travel plans
- Watched pilot episode

Friday
- Went to church
- Had lunch with pastor until 4:00 (We decided God was working on me)
- Watched FNL until 3:00 AM

Saturday
- Got out of Bed at 12:00
- Watched some FNL
- Cleaned Kitchen
- Watched some FNL
- Cooked and stored 2 pounds of hamburger meat. I got creative and put graded cheese into the meat itself.
- Raided my daughter’s stash of corn rice puff disks
- Watched some more FNL
- Prepared for homegroup tomorrow
- Watched some FNL
- Blogged my slothful weekend

So my question is, why does this happen to me? Does it happen to a lot of people? Have a reverted back to being a 3rd grader who needs to sit in the kitchen until his homework is done? I think it is a matter of everyday life and wondering if only I had some time to myself. If only I could do what I want to do. Well it turns out what I want to do is watch 8 hours of Friday Night Lights and eat cereal in my boxing shorts. I hope that after I’ve indulged in the forbidden fruit of FNL to 3:00 AM I’ll understand it wasn’t that big of a deal and get to a little more productive things. But I gots to know, will the Panthers make it to state? I think this is why I like the idea of school so much. I have a defined schedule with set goals and it keeps me honest.

And don’t worry too much honey. I think my sloth stage is over. With 5 empty cereal bowls sitting on my desk I've decided I'm was a little to close to having a hazmat team being called.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home